Wednesday, January 30, 2008

We're playing to #2 today...



This is part of our homeschool curriculum for kindergarten. We've really enjoyed listening to new sounds and learning the names of the composers. The curriculum we bought has a suggested activity for each piece and they encourage listening to one song each week, instead of listening to the whole cd at once. The first piece is Clair de Lune and the activity was watercolor painting. You should have seen them move their brushes to the music. It was pretty inspiring.

My dad is encouraging me to expose them to jazz and other genres of music too, which we will do. Does anyone know of similar cds for kids in other genres?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a book called Children and Painting and one of the earlier lessons is painting with music. I played the 2nd track on Infradig's latest for my class on Monday, as well as Buena Vista Social Club and a track that has a eery feel from a documentary on Eastern Europe. It was awesome to see how in tune they were to the music. They sure loved Infradig! These of course are 5th graders, but in a concentrated enviroment I can see how it would be fun for Kindergarten, especially finger painting!!

Anonymous said...

Music is NOT what came to mind when I read your title. I've had preschoolers in my house far too long. . .

Karen said...

Katie... I never thought of that, but I think I'll try it. They love hearing different kinds of music, and although they've heard Infradig before, I haven't played it for them in that way before. Thanks for the suggestion!

Willa... too funny.